Do CPS cases stay on your record?

If the CPS establishes your case and you are convicted, your name will be added to the CPS record (in the list of the central registry). If your allegations are unfounded, then you can have your name expunged from the list of records.

State child protection or social services agencies maintain the record of child abuse and neglect reports. They keep it in statewide databases that are known as “central registries.”

The purpose of keeping the record is to use it as an instrument for investigating, treating, and preventing child abuse cases and to supply statistical information for staffing and funding purposes.

These records are used to choose a trustworthy person to take care of the children. This is also a barrier to employment because a man whose CPS case has been established should not enter employment such as fostering or adopting children.

However, state laws also govern the procedures for removing a record from the CPSR list.

Does a CPS case remain in your background record?

Child Protective Services (CPS) responds to the call to protect children on a regular basis. Most often, they respond after getting the information from a third party.

If the investigation into child abuse and neglect allegations finds you guilty, you will be added to the list of people with a CPS record. Your name will be kept on the record for up to ten years until the youngest child reaches the age of eighteen.

Though every record has a specific time limit, some of the records are permanent.

If your case is unfounded, you can request that your name be removed from the list of records. The laws of the individual states determine whether the record will be public or confidential. In most cases, the CPS is a confidential rather than a public document.

Why is the CPS record important?

CPS cases do not last for a specific period of time. The extent of the CPS case depends on the nature of the case. In most parts of the state, the following jobs can be a barrier if you have a CPS case.

  • Physicians
  • Healthcare workers
  • Teachers and school personnel
  • Child care providers
  • Mental health professionals
  • Law enforcement officers

You can expunge your name from the list if you are the victim of false allegations. In the case of making a record regarding the offense of a man, the following is to be inserted in the record:

-The details of the victim’s child
-The nature and Nature and extent of injuries of the suffering
-Present Conditions in the home.
-Information about other children in the environment.
-Medical records
-Agency assessments
-Reporter information

However, the concerned party can access the record with a certain justification.

The laws of the state determine who is eligible to access the record. Remember, the record of the CPSE is not a public document.

When you are now listed on the CPSR, you should consult with a well-experienced family lawyer who will help you the most.

How do I get a CPS case off my record in Texas?

In Texas, in two ways, you can proceed to the removal of your name from the records. With moving to the court or with making an unsubstantiated case by the CPS. 

How long does a substantiated CPS report stay on your record in Maine?

Substantiated reports have existed in the records for a long time in Maine. After receiving the report, the department shall maintain it in the records for 25 years after the date of the report.

How do I get a CPS case dismissed in Tennessee?

You can dismiss your case at the preliminary stage, at the time of the investigation by the CPS, proving the allegation is baseless, and your child is no longer in danger. On the other hand, if the court determines that the case is without merit and that the evidence presented is inadmissible, the case may be dismissed. 

Can the CPS drop a case?

Yes, The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has the legal authority to drop the charges made against you if the evidence is not sufficient or not provable.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top